Today we’d like to introduce you to Rebeca Oliveira.
Rebeca, can you briefly walk us through your story – how you started and how you got to where you are today.
I started planning our family vacations when I was 16: researching destinations, finding activities tailored to each person, looking up the best spot for that elusive local dish.
In 2009 I got married. And instead of feeling relief from lists, calls and endless research, I missed it.
Every time a friend got engaged, I was always the first to volunteer to help and always felt like I could help more.
Finally, it clicked: this needs to be my *job*. I’m good at this; I love helping couples find unexpected solutions that make them jump with glee. I can harness my inner stage manager to run a wedding on time, my inner COO to make sure every I is dotted and every T crossed, and my inner Mom to make sure everyone eats.
I have the *best* job.
Great, so let’s dig a little deeper into the story – has it been an easy path overall and if not, what were the challenges you’ve had to overcome?
I’ve been blessed with good problems! How do I grow sustainably? What is the right balance between off-hour work and spending time with my family? Where’s the best place to advertise? How do I figure out if this is a scammer or just a person who’s extremely misinformed? Luckily, I’ve managed to avoid the biggest pitfalls (so far).
Please tell us about Maven Macaw Events.
I focus on the offbeat, the weird, the unusual, in whatever flavor it may happen. Boston and New England are well-served by traditional wedding services, but the minute you want a wedding outside of a hotel or a barn, suddenly people get confused.
I get excited. I see possibility where others see challenges. I love being asked to do something I’ve never done–or better, heard of!– before.
Basically, I’m here to support and embrace Your Weird. It’s beautiful because it’s yours.
Do you look back particularly fondly on any memories from childhood?
Decorating the Christmas tree with my grandma. The big family Christmas was always at her house and we always did the tree together, just the two of us. I always smashed at least a few of her gorgeous vintage ornaments, but she never got mad about it.
- MOTHER HEN From soup to nuts, the Maven Macaw will plan it all. Starts at $3,000.
- BUSY BEAVER we’ll be Team Awesome together, with regular check-ins to share progress and ideas. Starts at $1,500.
- DAY-OF HONEYBADGER There before anyone and through every event, this package offers comprehensive day-of management up to 16 hours. Starts at $500.
- BRIDAL BULLDOG not a full day-of coordinator, but a support role for someone who has the party well in hand, starts at $300.
- Website: http://mavenmacaw.events
- Phone: 6173659103
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mavenmacaw/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mavenmacaw/
- Twitter: twitter.com/mavenmacaw
- Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/maven-macaw-events-jamaica-plain
Photos by Laura Ryan