Today we’d like to introduce you to Lauren Dragon-Cook.
So, before we jump into specific questions about the business, why don’t you give us some details about you and your story.
I fell into the wedding industry. It was never something I aspired to.
I was asked by a friend to become the studio manager of her Boston based photography business, not because I had any prior experience in the industry, but rather, because she knew that I’m pretty amazeballs at restoring ordee.
I set about my work and was quickly able to establish a set of systems that automated many of the company’s standard business practices, allowing us to free up time to focus on clients and marketing. New England wedding businesses are perhaps one of the most competitive wedding markets in the US, and yet, I was successfully getting our business to reach the first page of Google search results. Business was booming and things went very well for a time…
The thing about falling into something though, is that if you don’t do it without your eyes wide open and boundaries clearly defined from the outset, there is often quite a painful lesson to learn as a result. My lesson came in the form of mixing friendship with business.
I had poured all my energy into building a very profitable company, however, slowly came to realize that my efforts were not being rewarded as they should have been. Looking back on things now, I know it was just the universe preparing me for better things yet to come. I had been steadily growing a side business as a wedding planner and so, knowing I had work opportunities available to me elsewhere, I walked away completely towards what I hoped would be the start of something magical…
My new role as a wedding planner started innocently enough. I had already been exposed to the wedding industry and helped countless couples plan their big day. This should be a walk in the park!
I started to really get a feel for my new business, one where I called the shots and could fully reap the rewards of my hard work. I started to gradually build up my client list until I found myself fully booked with weddings straight through the next two seasons.
I settled into my role and enjoyed my new-found business freedom for a time…
Slowly, however, I began to feel this major void and utter lack of passion for what I was doing. It didn’t light me up. I wasn’t feeling fulfilled in my work. But why?
It was at the beginning of 2017 that it hit me like a ton of bricks – I was completely in love with educating wedding pros on the behind the scenes of their businesses through practical knowledge and strategy. And that my friends, is how Wedding Boss Life was born.
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
Mixing business and friendship is incredibly difficult and can often result in heartbreak. Listening to my gut and wanting to fill the void I felt within my own business has lead me to finally combine all of my gifts to create a business model that doesn’t exist within the wedding industry. I just recently embraced incorporating my intuitive gifts into my business and I couldn’t be happier!
So, as you know, we’re impressed with Wedding Boss Life – tell our readers more, for example what you’re most proud of as a company and what sets you apart from others.
I’ve always just KNOWN that as long as I was taking inspired action I would eventually figure out what worked for my business and what didn’t. Now I get to help other entrepreneurs do the same… practical business advice + spiritual principles are my jam! I incorporate my intuitive gifts with solid business strategy to maximize my clients’ progress and success.
Strategy, concepts, workflows, shiny new courses, the list goes on… They are wonderful to help you organize the behind the scenes of your business, but who is sitting at the wheel driving the damn thing? Not YOU if you are focusing on the next best thing for your business. Yes, you need to master the basic business principles in order to masterfully create and sustain a business in ANY industry, but then you are left feeling empty. Am I right?
It doesn’t matter if you are part of every single FB group out there from here to Venus, you are going to hear the same strategy, same principles, and same techniques on repeat.
What you NEED to start doing is merging who you TRULY ARE (where are my fellow Moana fans?!) with the business you have or are currently creating based on systems and structure. What does that look like, to you?
Many entrepreneurs in the creative space are beginning to see and understand that you cannot run a business solely on principles and strategies alone. Your heart’s desire and that burning passion that lit you up when you BEGAN your business needs to balance out the constant learning, courses, education, and spinning your wheels. You HAVE to incorporate your true self into your business no matter HOW you think the world may react.
So, what’s next? Any big plans?
I plan on continuing to cultivate my incredible community of creative and my current and future clients. I may have a secret plan or two for the future – but it is top-secret for the time being!
- 1:1 Sessions Begin at $250 – We will talk specifically about the struggles you are facing in YOUR business. Whether it is getting found online, how you run your business, or simply that you want to be making more $$ and spending less time working – by the end of our time together, you will be equipped with solutions for success.
- 1 Hour Live Reading for Your Business – $65 – This 1 hour live reading is great for when you need a little more insight into what is currently going on in your life and business. Are you a writer, planner, designer, musician, photographer or just generally creative? Are you feeling blocked, anxious, unsure, self-critical, or even self-doubting? If you answered yes to any of those questions, what’s stopping you from pursuing your passion? What do you need to know in order to take your business to the next level? These are wonderful questions to bring to a reading. As a creative myself who has dedicated my life to pursuing my passions (one of them being my own intuition), I am an ideal channel for this wisdom to come through. My creativity supports my spiritual + mental health so this question of creativity is very close to my heart and it’s also the subject on which I feel the most poignant intuitive guidance comes through me.
- SEO Website Overhaul – $1000 – SEO is the one thing you can’t afford to neglect in your business and yet it gets ignored. Why? Because business owners don’t have the time or even WANT to optimize their sites. It’s time to get really real for a hot second–a “pretty” website doesn’t matter if people can’t find you.
- Website: weddingbosslife.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: instagram.com/weddingbosslife
- Facebook: facebook.com/groups/weddingbosslife
- Twitter: twitter.com/weddingbosslife
- Other: pinterest.com/weddingbosslife
Headshots of Lauren Taken by: Emily Esslinger of Golden Aura Photography