Today we’d like to introduce you to Holly Gagne.
So, before we jump into specific questions about the business, why don’t you give us some details about you and your story.
Right out of college I worked for Bain & Company in Boston as an HR Manager; after 7 years, I made the decision to return to school and pursue Interior Design as I had a strong interest in the visual arts. I enrolled in the masters of interior design program, and worked for Tappe Associates, an architectural firm in Boston. In my second year, I began my independent practice, working directly with homeowners on their residential renovations. I have now been working independently for almost 10 years on projects from California to Maine.
Overall, has it been relatively smooth? If not, what were some of the struggles along the way?
I have always had a steady flow of clients and projects, so that has made this journey and its struggles well worth it. But yes, there have been many struggles. Interior Design is not all design, there is a large chunk that requires a strong business sense and some serious organization – project management, accounting, contracts, scheduling…none of which I was trained for. I had a lot to learn, quickly, while also juggling the design work. With any small business, it is important to define the right client and project; there were projects along the way that I realized were not a good fit while I was in them, but I needed to complete them in a professional manner. That’s always a hard thing to do.
And then there is juggling the family thing. I have two small kiddos, so striking the right balance for client and family needs is something I have found to be very difficult.
Holly Gagne Interior Design – what should we know? What do you guys do best? What sets you apart from the competition?
My company specializes in residential interior design, from new builds to renovations to makeovers. We are known for:
1. Our strong understanding of the construction process and technical construction details.
2. The 2D/3D drawings we complete as part of our design process to help guide clients/contractors. Our clients can see exactly how all of the design elements will come together before it is built, and the contractors appreciate that they don’t need to chase answers.
3. Our design sense. We are always striving to achieve a design that feels uniquely personal to the owners… life is busy, and our homes should support our unique needs.
What is “success” or “successful” for you?
We always strive to make the design & construction process as simplified as possible, so keeping our clients calm throughout the process is one measure. Keeping budget in check is another. And when a client has lived in their new space and acknowledges how it has completely changed their lives, well that is our most important measure.
- New consultations are $175 for 1.5 hours
- Our minimum design fee for services is $1500 per project
- Design fees can range from 5-20% of the total budget pending our final scope of work
- Address: 136 Fenno Drive
Rowley, MA 01969
- Website: www.hollygagne.com
- Phone: 617-216-8454
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hollygagne
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hollygagnedesign
Meg Manion (holly & tina shot + 41 market st project)
Eric Roth (boxford & hopkinton projects)
Joe Ferraro (medford project)