Today we’d like to introduce you to Daniel Garcia-Decoteau.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Daniel. So, let’s start at the beginning and we can move on from there.
Established in 1995, Hair It Is Barbershop is a vibrant unisex salon catering to the cosmetic and entertainment needs of our local community. It is a family-owned business that started with just two barbers from the island of Trinidad & Tobago. My father is the founder of this barbershop. This Caribbean-based shop is known for its heavy foot traffic, social entertainment, and consistent service. Our barbers and stylists are known for building strong connections with new and old clientele alike.
Fast-forward to 2011 and at age 24, I decided to buy into the business, taking over for my father. Six (6) years later to current day, I have faced many challenges as a sole owner. But through the hardships, I have learned valuable lessons. I have been very fortunate to work with an amazing crew of loyal barbers/stylists. They have supported me through all the rough patches. We have a thriving business with much room for growth.
A lot of local barbershops don’t take the time to get digital. We are fortunate enough to be very active on the web using various platforms to speak with our customers. I am very proud of the results of this.
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
No business goes without challenges.
At Hair It Is Barbershop, I struggled with some of the following dilemmas:
• Hiring quality employees
• Engaging new customers
• Maintaining a Hair It Is Culture
• Security/theft issues
• Reducing costs
• Increasing revenue
So let’s switch gears a bit and go into the Hair It Is Barbershop story. Tell us more about the business.
I am responsible for the profitable business and operation of Hair It Is Barbershop, which is a vibrant unisex salon catering to the cosmetic and entertainment needs of our local community.
Some of my responsibilities include:
• Procuring new inventory and talent
• Establishing new market-based pricing through quarterly mystery shops
• Recording financials including revenue/expenses for the barbershop on a weekly basis
• Implementing new strategies to improve business and customer service, such as promotional social media blasts and one-on-one coaching
• Maintaining compliance with the Commonwealth (business license, barber licenses, and master barber license)
Hair It Is Barbershop is also (indirectly) a hub where customers have a real opportunity to express themselves freely about problems they face in the real world. The barbershop is a place where customers speak comfortably on politics, sports, saving money, making money, etc. The conversations are limitless and engaging at every visit. We pride ourselves on that.
Beyond this, our work is top notch and very fairly priced! We cut ALL types of hair and your background does not matter. Our work is precision cut with clippers and razor-finished for a long-lasting touch. Our staff gives the best recommendations for hair maintenance. We even have recommendations laid out on our blog for those who can’t make a visit.
Our Service Includes:
• Exceptional Haircuts/Shape-Ups/Design styles (Price Range: $15+)
• Dreadlocks/Twists/Braids/Natural-Hair Care
Has luck played a meaningful role in your life and business?
I live and breed by the following quote by Roman philosopher: Seneca
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity”
Lucky people generate their own good fortune based on four basic principles:
• Creating and noticing chance opportunities
• Making good decisions by listening to their intuition
• Creating self-fulfilling prophecies via positive expectations
• Adopting a resilient attitude that transforms bad luck into good
- Basic Haircut – $15-20+
- Line-ups/Shape-ups – $8-13+
- Exquisite Designs – $20-30+
- Mohawks – $15-20
- Fades – $15-20
- Dreadlocks & Braids – Prices range on length of hair
- Eyebrow Shape-ups – $8-10
- Kid’s Haircut – $10-13
- Address: 1186 Blue Hill Avenue, Boston, MA 02126
- Website: www.hairitisbarbershop.com
- Phone: 617-322-1664
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: hair.it.is.barbershop
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HIIBarbershop/
- Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/hair-it-is-barbershop-mattapan