To Top

Art & Life with Andy Chen

Today we’d like to introduce you to Andy Chen.

Andy, please kick things off for us by telling us about yourself and your journey so far.
I’m an amateur photographer. I’m from Long Island, New York and moved here to Boston last year for school. I’m first and foremost and optometry student where I love interacting with patients and getting them to see the best that they can. I spend about 90% of my waking hours studying, learning, or practicing clinical skills to become the best eye doctor I can be. The other 10% is spent digesting photography tutorials, shopping for gear, and trying to get inspired for my next best photo.

Can you give our readers some background on your art?
I take photos of my life. Plain and simple. I try and document places I’ve gone with my close friends and also share a bit of my life experiences. I don’t think I’ll ever create an award-winning image or have my work hung up in a museum. I take photos for myself and I am absolutely willing to bring others along for the ride. It’s very rare that I have a message embodied in my work. But as I get better and my artistic style evolves, I do see myself trying to inject a bit of emotion in my images. Even today, I’m still experimenting with color tones and new compositions to fine tune my work.

In your view, what is the biggest issue artists have to deal with?
I think the biggest challenge artists have is finding a niche that has yet to be explored and to be recognized for it. In today’s world where everyone is connected with the internet, I think it’s extremely hard to come up with an idea that just hasn’t been done before. Although it’s definitely hard to find something unique, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing to follow in other people’s footsteps. Draw inspiration. Build off of it. Take that image that no one has seen before and share it with the world. Soon you will be the one aspiring artist will look to in order to create.

What’s the best way for someone to check out your work and provide support?
All of my work is found on my personal blog There you can have a closer glimpse into my life and what I do on a weekly basis. If you want to support my work, anything as simple as sharing, my site will do wonders for me. I am constantly on the hunt to collaborate with companies, models and other photographers. I also have a link to an Amazon Wishlist that has everything from lenses to light reflectors that I would love to use in order to elevate my art. There is also a blog post “Let’s Take Stock” where I discuss donations and how I keep my blog up and running.

Contact Info:

Image Credit:
Jill Berger
Brian Cheung
Airi Ando
Kristi Fung

Getting in touch: BostonVoyager is built on recommendations from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you know someone who deserves recognition please let us know here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in

  • The Trailblazers: Rewriting the Narrative

    The editorial team has a special attachment to our new series, The Trailblazers: Rewriting the Narrative, because so many of us...

    Local StoriesNovember 15, 2018
  • Boston’s Most Inspiring Stories

    Every neighborhood in the Greater Boston area has its own vibe, style, culture and history, but what consistently amazes us is...

    Local StoriesNovember 15, 2018
  • BostonVoyager FAQs

    We’ve prepared this FAQ about BostonVoyager (run by Voyage Group of Magazines, LLC) (“Voyage”) in an effort to ensure that anyone...

    Local StoriesSeptember 23, 2018
  • The Influencers

    The BostonVoyager owes a huge debt to the incredible local community of influencers – from fashion bloggers to foodies – who...

    Local StoriesSeptember 19, 2018
  • #BostonCreatives: the local artists who inspire us

    Through a mix of mediums, formats and perspectives local artists illuminate the unknown, color the previously black-and-white and add depth to...

    Local StoriesSeptember 18, 2018
  • Makeover Monday’s: local beauty inspo that blew us away

    New week, new look.  Here’s some inspiration from some of Boston’s most gifted beauty professionals. 👰🏼💫 A post shared by Makeupjunkybyhilda...

    Local StoriesSeptember 17, 2018
  • The Thought-Provokers: Celebrating Artists & Creatives

    Boston has always had an artistic soul.  The culture and heritage of our city, like most great cities, owes a tremendous...

    Local StoriesSeptember 17, 2018
  • An Artistic Voyage: exploring local creative and artistic works

    Raw, unfiltered creative expression – from stories and photographs to illustrations and paintings – is at the heart of the BostonVoyager. ...

    Local StoriesSeptember 14, 2018
  • Flashes & Strokes: a Tale of Two Mediums

    The digital and traditional arts are thriving in Boston. From newer, technology based media like photography and digital art to more...

    Local StoriesSeptember 13, 2018